The Good Samaritan [Bible Reading 6/18 Week]
In the prelude to the parable of the good Samaritan, an expert in the law asked Jesus how to gain eternal life and then summed up the message of the Old Testament in the commandments to love God and to love one’s neighbor. In response to the man’s question, “Who is my neighbor?” Jesus told the story of a man in distress and an unexpected act of compassion. As followers of Jesus, we recognize that God’s compassion toward us should motivate us to show compassion to people in need.
- Luke 10:25-37(The Good Samaritan)
- Luke 10:1-12 (Jesus sends out the Seventy-Two)
- Luke 10:13-16 (Woe to Unrepentant Cities)
- Luke 10:17-20 (The Seventy-Two Return)
- Luke 10:38-42 (Mary and Martha)
If you are studying these passages by yourself or as a family, the following 3 questions can help you go deeper in understanding:
- What does this say about God?
- What does this say about us?
- What will we do about it?