January 2 — Taking Stock
“Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good-bye, you can’t be my disciple” (Luke 14:33 The Message).
Think About It
- How common is it for Christians to think of their salvation as only having implications for the future?
- Why is that misconception a problem?
- What is the effect when a Christian makes decisions that conflict with Christ’s teachings?
- Why should we never draw conclusions about Jesus from the mistakes of His followers? How hard is it not to draw conclusions from mistakes of His followers?
- How would you explain Corrie ten Boom’s quote: “I don’t hold on to the things of this world too tightly because it hurts when God pries them loose from my hand?”
- How do Christians lose their “saltiness?” Do they blend in with the world or stand apart? What difference does it make?
- Are there areas of life that you have not given to Christ? Ask Christ to help you understand what needs to be done and to help you understand how to do it.